Monday, July 2, 2012

TO SUM IT UP

I’m actually writing on my own blog…………………… As of now the treatments are finished.  I also found out I don’t have to do radiation, which is such a blessing.  They try to make it sound like it’s a cake walk compared to chemo, but I’m glad I didn’t have to find out. This journey has been a hard thing for me.  But then I realize that it’s hard for everyone and even harder for some.  Mostly, I’ve been blessed beyond measure.  The side effects weren’t as bad as I know they have been for other people.  All the horror stories we hear sometimes make us afraid before we start.  Not that it was fun or anything, but I learned a lot from the experience.  I learned I was stronger than I thought.  I didn’t always handle the situations the best but I tried to stay as positive as I could during the hard times.  As I said, it wasn’t easy but the important thing is we made it!   The only side effects that I still have are extreme fatigue and a dry mouth that is really annoying.  My feet are still numb and of course, there is no hair on my head.  I strongly believe that has been the toughest part.  Sometimes I feel that I come across not as grateful as I should be but I know that I have been blessed in many ways. And speaking of blessings, all of you have been such a big part in my story.  I’ve been showered with so much love and concern from so many.  There is no way to thank all of you except to say that you have helped me get through this.  It’s ironic that on some of my worst days, I would receive a phone call, a visit, email………all that helped to buoy me up.  For these things, I am eternally grateful.  Friends and family are most important to me……precious and priceless.   My own little family has been so supportive and so helpful during this time.  The kids are always calling or stopping in to see what I need.  The little grandkids have given me extremely warm hugs and kisses.  They’ve all been so loving and tender.  I’m blessed to have the best kids …I’ve often said I don’t know how I got so lucky to be their Mom.  This has proven that once again. Thank you so much for being here for me and my family.  We appreciate it so very much. Also I am so very amazed at the doctors and nurses that work in this profession.  I can think of a lot of kinds of medicine that would not be so taxing.  My nurse, Shelley, was so fabulous and so upbeat, but yet would answer things for me in a most tender way.  They never see us well.  They meet us when we are sick and scared to death and find a way to help us understand and learn about this disease.  I asked Shelley once why she chose oncology.  She said, “It found me.”  I will be indebted to her forever because she made something so dire a little easier to handle….and that alone means a lot. So, as I said 3 paragraphs ago……this is the plan.  I will see Dr. Charndramouli again in August and we will set up a schedule for follow-up appointments.  I think it will consist of blood work, then a scan in 3 months, then more blood work 3 months after that.  We will continue that for 2 years and then have appointments every 6 months.  He said in the beginning that this cancer was not just treatable, but curable.  So I asked him where we stood.  “In five years I can tell you the answer to that question.”  I’m sure my mouth dropped….I wanted to be cured now!!!  But I guess that isn’t the way this awful disease works.  So, we do what we’re told and hopefully things will turn out the way we want. Once again, thank you.  I can’t say it enough.

1 comment:

  1. Yay! Good news and great to hear from you! Looking forward to more good news in August...keep up the fight!

    ReplyDelete